There are many educational opportunities within the department of anaesthetics and within the trust. As well as regular departmental teaching there are also many meetings held in the multi-disciplinary setting. Hammersmith hospital being a specialist referral unit requires that you remain updated with current developments in the fields of cardiothoracics, cardiology, obstetrics, difficult airway and intensive care.
Opportunities for full immersion simulation
There is currently a developing programme with cardiology Cath lab crisis management – iCAST programme.
- Multidisciplinary team working in the catheter lab
- Takes place in the unique simulation suite of an angiosuite at St. Mary’s Hospital site 2nd floor of Paterson building.
- Lead Dr Iqbal Malik (Consultant interventional cardiologist) and Dr Tanika Kelay (PhD – academic psychologist)
- It will give you the opportunity to take part in crisis management within the Cath lab and we hope to sign off several WPBAs for those trainees who take part. It is also an opportunity to take part in a first-class unique and innovatory training research programme.
Other opportunities within the department and trust are these medium to high-fidelity simulation programmes specifically for anaesthetic training:
- CALS – Cardiac Advance Life Support training (Dr Marta Prestedge)
- Cardiac Emergency Critical Transfer Training (Dr Ros Bacon)
- ECHO provision course
- SMARTA – difficult airway training (Dr Virin Sidhu, Dr Michael Kynoch)
- Intensive Care serious incident management (currently only at St. Mary’s will be rolled out to Charing Cross and Hammersmith sites late 2015)
Any further queries in participating in simulation courses or to become a simulation facilitator for the trust please contact:
Dr Sadie Syed – Postgraduate Clinical Simulation Lead ICHT, Consultant Anaesthetist ICHT
Mr Matt Gold – Simulation Officer ICHT